For those looking to get started on a Total Gym workout routine, I have put together a bodybuilding program for beginners as well as a power program for advanced users. There are many different ways to workout on this versatile machine. The following workouts are some of my favorites.
For detailed descriptions of the exercises I list in the routines, click on the Total Gym category on the side.
The beginner program is for those new to training and need to lay a foundation.
- Flies: 2 sets of 10-20
- Chest Press: 3 sets of 8-12
- Lying Down Triceps Extensions: 2 sets of 8-12
- Lying Down Triceps Pushdown (between your legs): 2 sets of 8-12
- Front Raises: 2 sets of 10-20
- Punches: 2 sets of 8-12
- High pull: 3 sets of 12-20
- Pullover Abdominal Crunch: 1 set of maximum repetitions
- 1-Arm row: 3 sets of 12-15
- Pull-ups (with the wing attachment): 3 sets of 12-20
- Leg Curls: 3 sets of 12-20
- 2 Handed Curls: 2 sets of 8-12
This can be done on a 3 day split such as M-W-F or T-THURS-SAT. On your off days I suggest you do some conditioning training such as bodyweight calisthenics or roadwork to aid in the fat burning process.
Next is a Total Gym workout routine geared towards Power for those that have trained before. The repetitions are in the 6 and under range with no more than 2 working sets a piece per exercise.
- Chest Press: 20-6-4
- Shoulder Press (with wing attachment on the bottom of the machine): 20-6-6
- Dips: 20-6-6
- Pull-ups: 12-8-6
- Iron Cross: 12-6-6
- Around the Worlds: 12-6-6
- Pullover Crunch: 12-6-6
- Upright Row: 10-6-6
- Wide Grip Chin-ups: 10-8-4
- Underhand Pull-ups: 8-4
- Scarecrows: 6-6
- Lying Down Curls: 6-6
- Big Dawg Curls: 6-6
- Front Raises (alternate): 20-6-6
- Punches: 20-6-6
- 2 Handed Row: 20-6-6
- 1 Handed Row: 10-20, 6-6
- Flies (flush the muscle, this is the reason for the higher repetitions): 2 sets of 20
There is not hardly any direct abdominal work so on your days off make sure that you are doing conditioning work with plenty of abdominal training. For information on good abdominal routines be sure to check out my DVD’S Armored Core 1 and 2 located in our products section.
And remember, just like on any other training method, your routines must be periodized. Periodization is a way of cycling your training routines to avoid getting stuck in a plateau. For example, one might do a certain routine for up to 8 weeks before results start to diminish. Then, the training objectives, rep schemes, etc. need to be adapted to ensure continued progress.
I am currently accepting online consultation clients for strentgh & conditioning mentoring and program design. Feel free to contact me by email for inquiries. Purchase a Total Gym® XLS today